Monday, October 19, 2009

California Popcorn

I still remember the first time I tried a Subway sandwich "California Style" back in Olney. The simple addition of avocado, and I was hooked for life. Subconsciously, I think that's why I moved out here. Restaurants and delis all over the great state of Maryland began offering avocado with every turkey sandwich under the sun and calling it "California Style", but my wallet couldn't keep up. Two bucks extra?? Why not just move to a state where these blessed fruits actually grow on trees? It only took 10 years since then to move here, but I've been enjoying the "fruits" of my pilgrimage for 6 1/2 yrs now. My palette couldn't be happier.
So, imagine my delight when Mooneybags needed my help for the 2nd time in 2-ish wks to make a party-size batch of killer guac before their gigantor avocados went bad.
Clearly, I've lived in California for awhile.

Enter the popcorn: Popcorn can become the ultimate, perfect snack base when you're trying to eat gluten-free. The pallette has a hard time adjusting at first both to the lack of familiar textures as well as an overabundance of those less familiar, but if you try some familiar and satisfying flavors, you'll be surprised how quickly you can adjust.
I figure popcorn, although tasty, always leaves me picking at my teeth - so it better be worth it.
Case in point: my Pizza Popcorn.
And popcorn's oh-so versatile - perfect for both the savory- and sweet-toothed moments (um, can you say PB & Cocoa Popcorn?).

And now we finally make it to the California Popcorn moment; Giant avocados from a friend's tree + care-packaged microwave gourmet Orville Redenbacher a la Mama Bear. Genius, I know. All I had to do was dice the avocado and mix with some Italian seasonings, salt, and pepper, and voila. A quick avocado dip.
You will want this all to yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment