Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Berry Mocha Frappe & Corned Beef Hash Wraps

A special friend took me to brunch on Labor Day to Andersen's Bakery, a traditional Dutch restaurant and, you guessed it, bakery. I enjoyed my corned beef hash special (with onions and potatoes, served with scrambled eggs & bacon) but had so much left over that I was able to make 2 additional meals out of it! Today I reheated the mixture (including eggs and bacon) and threw it on toasted corn tortillas with dijon mustard and fresh spinach. Yeah, you know it!

I've also been making simple rice milk smoothies (think I'd prefer them with soy milk to be honest) from the frozen berries bestowed upon me by Mama Bear during my recent visit, but I needed an extra kick today as the new band has our 2nd gig tonight and the lack of circulation in my garage-room makes me drowsy. So I made a small pot of coffee, slightly stronger than usual, and set it aside to cool down before placing it in the freezer to cool even more. You can omit the coffee (and by default the honey and brown sugar, which is only meant to counteract the bitter coffee), of course, and you'll still be able to use the fancy word "frappe", since it refers to a non-dairy fruit and ice blender drink in Australia (the term is also derived from a Greek iced coffee beverage, or a New England thick milkshake).

I didn't measure anything out, but my first experiment with this turned out so well I had to write it down right away...

  • 2 parts frozen blueberries to 1 part frozen raspberries
  • 2 parts cooled strong coffee to 1 part rice (or soy) milk
  • approx. 2 Tbsp mocha powder
  • approx. 1 tsp honey
  • approx. 1 tsp brown sugar
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • few shakes of cinnamon

Blend & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment